1. Locate Contract Awards with Subcontracting Plans
The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) has been tasked with ensuring that small business owners receive contract awards. Check out SBA Agency Contracting goals for a list of federal agencies who are awarding small businesses awards.
Some contract award require that the large business have a subcontracting plan to outsource a percentage of the work to small businesses. But in order to take advantage of these opportunities your small business must be registered in SAM
- Be on the lookout for Agencies who publish outreach events
- The Sites where large prime contractor post solicitations for subcontracting work, SubNet
- General Services Administration (GSA) Subcontracting Directory for Small Businesses
- Dynamic Small Business Search (DSBS)
- Doing business with Veteran Affairs (VA)
- SBA Directory of federal government prime contractors with subcontracting plans
This Directory keeps a list of Subcontracting opportunities of Federal Government Contractors looking to work with small business owners looking to be subcontractors.
- Review the company’s website capture all the following information
- Company Name for the Prime Contractor
- Contract NAICS
- Point of Contact Name and telephone number of the company
- Contract number
- Period of performance
- Contract value and obligated dollars.
- Request information on the organizations recruiting processes for subcontractors?
2. List of DoD Prime Contractors who have Small Business Partnership Programs
3. Find upcoming requirements
4. Training and Education
5. Subcontracting Rules and Regulations
The rules and regulations that govern the subcontracting program are fully defined in the Federal Acquisition Regulations, and supplements that are individually published by federal agencies
Here are some of the most-used subcontracting program regulations:
FAR 19.7: The Small Business Subcontracting Program
FAR 52.212-5: Contract Terms and Conditions Required to Implement Statutes or Executive Orders — Commercial Items
FAR 52.219-8: Utilization of Small Business Concerns
FAR 52.219-9: Small Business Subcontracting Plan
FAR 52.244-6: Subcontracts for Commercial Items